Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Taken by Robert Crais


          Elvis Cole #13

          I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed listening to this book. It is not the kind of book I would normally choose.  Stories about soldiers, human trafficking, egregious violence, and bloody guts do not usually interest me. But something about Cole and Pike and their buddy John Stone appealed to me. This story caught me at the beginning and never let me go. I have not read any of the previous books in the series, but I think I will add the first one, The Monkey’s Raincoat to my to-be-read list.

          The story begins with two young people at a landmark in the desert. Shortly after sunset, a large truck pulls up and disgorges a load of people from its cargo area – a coyote dropping off the people he is helping to sneak into the country. Suddenly several smaller vehicles arrive, a gun battle ensues, and the folks from the back of the truck are rounded up, kidnapped for ransom.  The two young folks who are watching all this happen get caught up in the sweep as well.

          Elvis Cole, private investigator, is hired by the young woman’s mother, to find her. She does not believe her daughter has really been kidnapped since the ransom demand was only $500. She believes the youngsters have run off to get married and are trying to scam some cash out of her. When she finally realizes her daughter is playing the part of an illegal alien, she is truly horrified.

          Elvis Cole, with the help of Joe Pike and John Stone, and lots of fire power, head into the desert to find the kids and the rest of the aliens being held for ransom. Through the use of other than ordinary means, everyone is recovered from the kidnappers. And, Cole and company destroy the kidnapping ring while doing it.

          The action here was nonstop.  And while some of the scenes were a little too gory for my tastes, my desire to see what happened next allowed me to skim over those parts. I can’t wait to try the earlier novels, and to see what adventures the guys have coming up.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!