Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly



I just finished reading The Black Echo by Michael Connelly. I assume it is going to be made into a movie soon since it was published in 1992, and recently appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list.

It is a well done version of the classic who-done-it genre, and the first of a series of novels featuring Detective Harry Bosch. The clues and police process move forward logically, with the twists mounting as the story moves along. And the final twist, while not a total surprise, is very good.

The best part of the whole book, however, is the first page. The opening scene is described without any visual cues. Connelly uses only sound and touch and smell. But I could “see” the scene in crisp, bold detail. It was fascinating and wonderful. Only rarely do I find a book whose opening line sucks me in and delights me. This one did it.

Superb work, Michael Connelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!