Monday, September 10, 2012

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison


          The Hollows #10

          A Perfect Blood is a paranormal mystery, the tenth in this series.  I gave it a 3 of 5 stars on Goodreads. It’s a fine book, and I know I’ve read at least one of the prior books in the series because I remember some of the magical concepts Harrison uses, but I’ll be darned if I can figure out which one I read.

          The story is about a demon, Rachel Morgan, and her friends and allies trying to uncover the culprits behind some nasty murders. A group called HAPA is trying to develop a means to destroy all non-humans, and they are attempting to synthesize demon blood to do it. Their attempts are leaving the witches they kidnap and experiment on, not only dead, but nastily transformed in the process. What they really need to achieve their goal is some of Rachel’s blood.

          Rachel has cut herself off from her most potent magical potential in order to retain as much of her life as she can after discovering her demonity. It hampers her ability to find and capture the HAPA members she is seeking. It also hampers her ability to really live her life.

          In the midst of uncovering the ring of bad guys, she must also uncover her true self. Once she is realigned with her magic, she is able to assist in ending the reign of terror envisioned by HAPA.  But now she must redefine her own life.

          I liked this book, but I’m sure I would have liked it better if I’d read the earlier books and understood the basics of the various creatures and abilities better. I particularly enjoyed Janx, the pixie.  He has a very colorful way of expressing himself! Waiting to hear his next exclamation is part of the fun of the book. 

          I don’t think I’ll add the earlier books to my to-be-read list just yet, but I do look forward to Rachel’s next adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!