Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One Day by David Nicholls

          I still don’t know quite how I feel about this one.  I can tell you I have a bittersweet feeling at the base of my throat. This is a sweet story of two lives, how they came together one St. Swithin’s day. The story checks back in on its characters on that same day in various years in the future. The story tells of these two lives, how they bumped along, how they twined together at times, how they went their separate ways at others.

          One Day makes me feel like some people really are meant to be together. But it also reinforces my belief that destiny isn’t written in stone. It is also an example of how the tiny decisions we make day to day, like where to stop for a drink, can have dramatic effects decades later. 

          I’ll recommend this one, with the caveat that it is a chick book – a British chick book.  There are probably too many feelings floating around for a lot of guys. 

          I think I’ve decided I like it.  It’s not what I’d usually choose, but I’m glad I read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!