Friday, June 8, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer

               I nearly gave up on this one several times, it’s been turned into a movie, and I figured it had to develop a better story line soon. I disliked this book so much the movie will probably be nominated for an Oscar.  [9 out of 10 Oscar nominated films are ones I feel I paid too much for…]


               My biggest problem with this book is that I did not find it entertaining – heartbreaking, horrifying, inscrutable, yes, but no fun.


               I can remember being utterly horrified as a child by a description of the bombing of Dresden, Germany. The description here made me feel a bit ill. And though it has been more than a decade, mentally reliving 9/11 is still upsetting.


               On a lighter note, though, it s been a very long time since I read a work of fiction with this many illustrations.


               I don’t recommend reading this book.  Maybe the movie is less depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!