Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks

            Wow! That’s my initial reaction upon finishing this book. Wow! If I had to pick three words that best describe this book, they would be wow, wow and wow! This one really blew me away.

               I had to wonder at my intense reaction, though. If I hadn’t read it at this point in my life, would it have touched me so deeply? I don’t know the answer for sure, but I suspect it is “no”. I do know that in this book, Sparks describes the sweetest love story I ever remember hearing.  He also describes a person in such a way that it rocked me to my core. I know that person.  I’ve met her.  I agree with everything he said about her. If I’d never lived through my own love stories and never met the people Sparks’ descriptions evoked in me, I’m sure I would have reacted differently to the story.

               The Best of Me also resonated with because I believe that doing the right thing ultimately benefits me even if I don’t see the immediate cause and effect. I believe everything we do affects those around us. I think we all have a purpose in our lives, even if we cannot determine it ourselves. And, I really do believe the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, even when I find myself to be a member of the few. All of this theme appear in this book.

               I think this is a great book for adults.  I don’t know that a young person would necessarily have the experiences to relate well to this tale. And I also think it will be a book that will speak to me differently every time I read it.

               Wow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!