Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bonnie by Iris Johanson

               I started listening to this book with a bit of a ho-hum attitude, “Just another visit with Eve and the gang.” And the book started out meeting my expectations. It picked up where Eve had left off, with everyone hunting for Bonnie’s killer.  I assumed they’d find him; Eve would try to kill him and be unable to bring herself to do it, blah blah blah.

               Guess what? I was wrong. This turned out to be a really good story – better than Johanson’s last few, in my opinion.  Right and wrong, fair and just are not black and white, and she does an excellent job of displaying shades of gray.

               Johanson also managed to engage me emotionally in Bonnie which hasn’t happened for a while.  I finished one chapter only to discover the front of my shirt soaked with tears I hadn’t realized I was shedding.

               The slow, predictable start of this book is well worth wading through to get to the end.  I only hope in her next book, Johanson goes back to having Eve and the gang solving murders of the more mundane kind and focuses less on their individual lives.



              

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from fellow readers! Please let me know what you thought of this book and my comments on it. Thanks!